Saturday, October 22, 2016

Pulling the Curtain Back

I was having a conversation with a dear friend and we were talking "shop" - photography shop.  I'm coming up on a decade as a working photographer.  It's been quite a journey of ups and downs with uncertainty and clarity.  I had shared this story about myself and decided to pull back the curtain and write a little bit about it.

I have what I call "bad days".  It's not that they are really bad.  They are just days where I can't sit at the computer and concentrate on what needs to get done.  So instead I'll head out somewhere with my camera and see what I can find.  Through this process I've come up with quite an array of images and experiences that have helped me grow as a photographer.  The experiences being what I saw and felt on a particular day.  The growth came when I started to license those "bad day" photos creating work as well as meet new clients by putting myself out there.

We all start as buds and need certain things to grow.  Everyone is different in what they need to grow.
For me it was figuring out who I was - but more importantly who I wasn't.


I like to think of myself as one who has many layers.  I'm not at the top of my game by any stretch and enjoy being in the mix of a constant learning curve.


This photo was made of branches in the dead of winter.  But to me I saw life through my lens.  I feel confident that my choices will take me in the right direction from here on in.


Who knows what makes us choose one thing over another.  We all do it in our day to day lives.  I see it as our unique road and the vehicles we select that take us there.


To all those "bad days" I say thank you.  You gave me time to think and get to know myself in a wonderfully,  intimate way.


enjoy,

k

No comments:

Post a Comment