Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Different Approach

Spent the weekend traveling up the coast of Maine.  Stopping first for a visit with long time friends Bridget and Rob enjoying our time catching up with lunch followed by a walk along the sea close by their home.   Then it was on to Portland to meet my friend Cathy for a weekend at the Old Port.  

Our cameras stayed in their bags as our conversation took us through the evening - catching up on life's adventures.

Sunday morning came and it was off to Old Port with our cameras rearing to go. We didn't have to travel far distances as the vibrance of Union Wharf kept us entertained for quite some time.  It was a welcomed respite to wander through that pier taking photographs enjoying such a brilliant spring day.  We commented on how our moods had changed - we felt comfortable - happy - uplifted - through the simple act of walking, talking and taking pictures.



This was one of the scenes I felt drawn to from the pier....


I stayed with it for quite a while -  feeling I needed to keep going with it -


I mentioned to Cathy that I felt I was being drawn in by words.  It made me think of something Jay Maisel told us during our workshop "don't include words unless you want the viewer to read them"

humph...?

Once we had our fill of the pier we started to venture to the streets of Portland.  Our gait is slow as we observe and find something that interests us to photograph.  We don't move together as one but we manage to stay close by one another as we shoot.  Snippets of conversation here and there and then we go off into our own zone so to speak.  A small building sits along the ocean side of Commercial Street.   I ended up on one side of the building and Cathy ended up on the other side.  While I was standing there I photographed a couple of bicyclists riding by.  After they passed I heard a seagull squawking rather loudly as he wanted to get my attention.  As I looked up to see him he landed on the top of the building across the street.  I watched him and decided to wait for him to take flight - he did - I snapped one frame.

I went to see where Cathy was and found her on the other side of the building.  We hadn't exchanged photos all morning - she was excited "...you have to see what I just shot"  When I looked at the back of her camera I was giddy.  "No way - let me show you what I just shot".  We compared photos.  They were almost identical.   We had a chuckle and felt like it was "our photo of the day" in a wonderful, eerie kind of way.

The rest of the day was exploring the city.  We put our cameras away and just enjoyed each others company while walking in and around the city.

Lunch time didn't come until late afternoon.  As we sat and waited for our food to arrive Cathy had the thought to look up what a Seagull Totem means....

here's what we found....

If A Seagull has flown across your path;

It’s time to take a different perspective on things. Take a moment and step back from everything that you are currently dealing with and look at it from a different angle. Your solution lies in changing your attitude towards the problem at hand. Soar above the drama and look through your own emotional boundaries so that you can find creative new ways to move forward. There is a clue in using the long hidden resources you already have.
Alternatively Seagull is reminding you that everything has a purpose and that there are currently many things in your life that need to be redefined and reassigned. Take a moment to sort through the clutter and let go of that which you can no longer use.
There is always opportunity in everything and it can be found in the most unlikely places. Things may seem a little barren and unproductive right now, however even the most unlikely places can bear an opportunity for your new resources. The point is to realize that you are in this place and time for a reason. Remain optimistic and know that this reason will be revealed. Trust your instincts and follow through.



humph...

Thank you Thelma - love ya!

enjoy,

k

No comments:

Post a Comment