Saturday, October 7, 2017

Starting With the Back Layer

During a recent workshop with Sam Abell we learned the importance of starting with the back layer in our images. In sports it becomes a challenge due to so many moving parts.  I always move about during a game trying different angles and playing with the light.  In this case harsh, late fall sunlight made the far right of the field fall into full shadow.  Made for a clean background - something I don't see very often on the playing fields.  When I pressed the shutter for this photo I was wishing the single player wasn't behind the girl in action.....


....but once I got home and reviewed the images on my computer I saw that I was given a gift.  The light illuminating that player in the background also illuminated her stick which in turn highlighted the girls braid perfectly.  Next frame - no illumination - resulting in no separation.  

Never disregard that back layer - this goes for all aspects of life really.  The background is as important a component as the foreground and subject.

Chalk it up to more lessons learned.....

enjoy,

k

No comments:

Post a Comment