Thursday, August 6, 2020

Another Day... Life At the Lake Part II


Summertime has always drawn me to the water ever since I was a young girl.  While I don't go swimming for 8 hours a day like I used to.  I do long to be out in my kayak or any other floatation device that comes available.  

After pushing off from shore I was treated right off the bat with this Red Tailed Hawk looking for lunch in the shallow water.  From what I could see he wasn't successful on that first attempt.  But as I paddled away I'm fairly sure he managed to catch a snack or two.  

As I came around the bend I was looking ahead to where I was paddling.  But something made me turn my kayak around and low and behold I saw this Bald Eagle back tucked away in the trees.  He was eyeing me a bit.  It's actually kind of unnerving when a bird this large "eyes" you.  I had a quick thought - "hmmm... I wish I wore my hat!"  But he meant me no harm and I none to him.  I spent quite a while just letting the wind float my kayak along so I could observe him.  I was looking to see if there were any others.  I did catch sight of another eagle higher in the trees.  
I think both he and I were delighted to watch this egret and heron playfully catching fish together in the shallow water.  

After some time the eagle shifted his stance on the tree branch and put his back towards me.  Every now and again he'd look over his shoulder and see if I was still there.   Yup!  It wasn't my usual high energy kayak excursion.  Not much exercise with this jaunt.  But it felt so relaxing and rejuvenating just the same.



I thanked him as I was leaving.  I do feel that it is a special treat to be able to observe these magnificent birds!  Until next time my friend....

enjoy,

k

1 comment: